Monday, March 31, 2008

the new job (the first non-archive post)

So far the new job has been very interesting. We have a lot of very sweet clients and then some who are not so sweet. I haven't come across any that are truly hostile, but I have come across a few who have tried to get extra gas vouchers ("I always get 8 for my Dr's appt.", and if I look it up, they always get 2) because they know I'm the new girl. Luckily it's easy to look up what they usually get, and what they've been told in the past.

The big ugly thing about the job right now is paperwork. I tend to get way behind on it and there's not much I can do other than stay late like every night and that's no fun. Today it had to be finished because it's the last day of the fiscal year, so my supervisor helped me. We started doing nothing but paperwork at 3 and we still both left around 5:45.
My ability to stay at this job is going to depend on my ability to either a. get a reasonable system going whereby i don't get behind (or too far behind) on my paperwork (that doesn't involve too much in the way of nights and weekends) or b. come to peace with the fact that I will be behind.

So far I actually really like the job because I deal with all adults, so I don't have to worry about a lot of the nit picky nonsense that I do when dealing with children, and because it's a very diverse, beautiful and accepting crowd--- including clients, volunteers and staff. I think it's definitely worth the effort to figure out how to be comfortable with the paperwork and the general insanity ("oh, btw, that thing we told you you're working at 7 in the morning? it's on a saturday... this saturday.") to be able to work in that environment.

No comments: